Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I saved a laptop with Linux!

Recently one of my co-worker's laptop had some issues. The hard drive died and the cd drive wasn't working so there was no way to reinstall Windows on it. After about a month with help from one of the IT members the laptop still wasn't working. So when I was asked to help I brought in a USB drive that booted Kubuntu Linux live. Bam! The computer booted! My co-worker was shocked that I got the laptop running. He installed Kubuntu on to another USB drive since his hard drive was dead. After the installation he tried to burn a cd and it worked! He was even more thankful. So how did this all end? Well, he bought a new hard drive and sadly reinstalled Windows XP. He said I saved him $600 in repairs. I got a free lunch plus respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment